|1. Read Space Chapter in Training Manual & Activity Book of Disarming the Playground. UO1
2. Watch Training Video on Space Unit UO1
3. Movement Observation – Pay attention to your use of space in 4-5 different settings. Spend 2 minutes jotting down what you noticed – Where were most comfortable -Where uncomfortable UO2
|1. Over the course of a few days again pay attention to your own use of space. Compare these observations with the ones before the last class. Spend two minutes writing it up.
2. Read article by Edward Hall on Proxemics
3. Watch Video of Kindergarten students at Lake View doing an actual session on Space.
4. BEGIN brainstorming ideas for an activity on the use of space. Think about age group, environment (school community center, prison, Seniors, Parents and children together.
– It could be an adaptation of what you read or watched for a different age group or thinking of space in a different way such as emotional space.
|Share activity with previously selected small group. Give and receive feedback –
Be prepared to share activity in class
|First Period on Space Unit
|1. Check-in Self-Assessment- Round Robyn UO2 (20 min)
2. Move w/different size space bubbles (10min) (UO1)
3. Walk and Stop – Students approach each other & take turns stopping each other at a distance that feel safe or comfortable. Switch partners after each turn. Approach with different speed, moods, etc. Pay attention to what and where inner cues are in body UO2 (30 min)
4. One Step closer – Mover coming one step closer to partner than partner is comfortable with. CO6 UO2 (15)
5. 2 min write-up on Act 3 & 4 followed by small group discussion
6. Space in Therapy – Watch Video of Mom
& adopted child / Video of Safe Spaces in
trauma groups / Discuss UO1 45min.
PERIOD TWO ON SPACE UNIT
IN CLASS ACTIVITIES
|1. In small groups share movement observations of others and of self (15min)
Then compose a space dance representing some of space use you all observed (1-2 minutes long) Share with class (30 min) (UO 1 & 2)
2. Make Spaces w/crepe paper – work in partners – approach in different ways 30 min
3. Adaptations for cultural differences
4. Write and Share
2 min write of space experience w/partner
5-minute sharing in small group
2 minute add more to writing
5 minute whole group sharing
5. Using mats, scarves, rollers, etc. each students make a home or safe place. Students visit each other – sometimes friendly, sometimes not. The visitee gets to decide whether to let them in or not. Practice assertion – Sharing space.
6. If time, make a story involving leaving spaces and things happening.
| DAY THREE
IN CLASS ACTIVITIES
|Each Student leads class though activity
One to two-minute feedback
One minute write up after each activity
Whole group discussion on how things went.
Discuss Self-Regulation Unit Coming up next.
|1. Four 15-minute movement observations, each in a different environment. Choose places with people of different cultures, ages, races, as well as different types of places
2. Take a notebook or tablet & take notes on how people use space. See if you can draw some conclusions about what you noticed
|1.Put your brainstorming to work. Plan an activity on use of space – It could be an adaptation of what you read or watched for a different age group or thinking of space in a different way such as emotional space.
2. Write an activity description following the format in the Space Chapter. Give clear objective of activity, props needs if any, age group, and a description with bulleted points. CO9 – UO3
|Finalize activity plan from feedback and teaching experience, And submit via Canvas – Make sure you state what age & population it’s for
CO9 – UO3